Where should someone begin if they want to get HIV care?

The first step in getting care for HIV/AIDS is to find a physician. It is best to find a doctor who is familiar with treating HIV disease; usually they are called Infectious Disease (ID) doctors. Doctors who don’t specialize in HIV treatment may not keep up with rapidly changing developments in antiretroviral medications and other treatment strategies. An individual should remember that it is always okay to get a second opinion if they have any doubts about a doctor’s approach to treating their HIV. Remember, it is always better for an individual to inform any doctor providing them with medical care about all of their medical conditions.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between HIV and AIDS?
2. What is an Opportunistic Infection (OI)?
3. Where did HIV come from?
4. How is someone infected with HIV?
5. Can I get HIV from casual contact with someone who is infected?
6. How can someone reduce the risk of being infected with HIV?
7. How does someone know if they are infected with HIV?
8. What are the symptoms of HIV infection?
9. Is there a cure for HIV?
10. Does everyone who has HIV eventually develop AIDS?
11. Where should someone begin if they want to get HIV care?
12. When should someone start taking HIV treatment?
13. How much does HIV care cost?
14. If someone is diagnosed with AIDS, does that mean they will die soon?
15. If someone is HIV positive, what else can they do to stay healthy?