How to Apply

Application Process

If you have an open matter and do not have an attorney, you may apply for our services by telephone.   You will need to reapply if you have been released from custody or if you were approved for the preliminary hearing only.

There are steps you must take before we will assume or continue representation of you.

  1. You must call the Office of the Public Defender at 215-348-6473 and schedule an appointment for a telephone interview.
  2. You must complete and submit an online application and attach all financial documentation prior to your appointment date.  See below for a list of required financial documentation. Application for Public Defender Representation
  3. A paralegal will call you to review this documentation with you and determine whether you qualify for our services.
  4. If you qualify, a legal representative will then call you to discuss your charges.

Please remember that until all of these steps have occurred, we do not represent you.  Merely submitting an application is not enough.

The following is a list of required financial documentation.  If you are married, you must also attach all financial information for your spouse.

  • At least 3 most recent pay stubs
  • Statement of Unemployment benefits
  • Letter from last employer verifying termination
  • Award letter from Social Security or a copy of your most recent deposit
  • Court order for amount of child support received or paid
  • Documents regarding any stocks, bonds, or trust accounts.
  • Current bank statements, including savings account, checking account, IRA, 401K, and retirement accounts
  • Foreclosure papers, notice of Sheriff’s sale and/or statement from financial institution verifying there is absolutely no equity in the property and that a home equity loan was not taken out within the last year.
  • Letter from the person who is supporting you, stating you are not employed, living with them, and they are currently supporting you.  This must come from the person supporting you, from their email address or handwritten with their signature and all contact information.
  • Current class schedule and financial aid/student award letters
  • Letter from drug rehabilitation/mental health facility stating you are currently in an inpatient program and not currently able to work.