Minor Passports


  • When applying for a minor under the age of 16 the child must appear in person with both parents
  • Children between the ages of 16 and 17 must appear in person with at least one parent
  • Child's state-issued birth certificate with both parents' full names
  • Child's social security number
  • All applicants 16 years and older must present a clear photocopy (front and back) of their valid government-issued identification (example: driver's license/school ID card) along with that original photo identification
  • All applications for children under 16 require both parents or a legal guardians' consent
  • Both parents must sign and take oath before an authorized passport agent, however, if only one parent is able to appear in person one of the following must be submitted:
    • Evidence that the applying parent has sole legal custody of the child, or written, notarized consent of the non-applying parent for the issuance of the child's passport
    • A written statement by the applying parent explaining why the non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained may be submitted; not submitting evidence of sole legal custody or a signed, notarized consent statement from the other parent will delay the processing of the application
  • Please note that all legal documents and written, notarized consent statements must be original documents; photocopies are not accepted

Foreign-Born Adopted Children

Access the What to Expect After Adoption page of the U.S. State Department's website to review information on foreign-born children adopted by U.S. Citizens.