The Erwin Family were among the earliest colonial landowners in Upper Bucks County, having arrived in 1768. Within the first decade after arriving in the Americas they became the largest landowner in Bucks County. They served on the Bucks County Militia, helping to secure the country’s independence from England during the war and participated in Pennsylvania State Government. The town of Erwinna was named for the patriarch of the family, Arthur Erwin.
Arthur Erwin was an Irish immigrant who came to Philadelphia on Aug. 18, 1768 and bought 944 acres in Tinicum Township, the site of the town of Erwinna on a property then known as the Red House Farmstead in March, 1769.
Arthur Erwin’s second wife, Mary was the daughter of William and Mary Ann Henderson Kennedy from Springfield Township in Bucks County.
Arthur Erwin's Children by his First Wife, Mary Scott Erwin
William Erwin, son of Arthur Erwin and his first wife Mary, and his wife Achsah.